Saturday, July 16, 2011

On Absinthe

Back in 2005 I was in my late teens, and a bit of a substance/alcohol-nerd - I still am. At the time Absinthe was a mysterious drink that had all the appeal of being a "formerly banned" beverage. Man, it must be good...right?

Well, no...not in my opinion. Despite all the talk I found Absinthe to be an overpriced drink, that I didn't like the taste of and had a noxious amount of alcohol content.

For Christmas 2005 my request for a present was a bottle of the stuff, and my bro delivered. I still have it (Green Fairy Brand). I did the whole ritual with the sugar and the flame. I felt no effects besides an exercised gag reflex.

Eventually I got yet another bottle, complete with slotted spoon and a glass, although I have not opened this newer bottle because it's more a novelty item for my bar now.

All I can say is I believe the how banning of this concoction was based on fear and misunderstanding...in direct parallel with most banned substances in modern society.

Here is a picture of my Absinthe collection that I don't intend on expanding...at least until I am debt free. I included the two bottles of Thai Red Bull...because I think they are super neat-o ;)


Thanks for viewing, if you have any questions about this feel free to comment and I'll be sure to tend to them :)

5 comments:

  1. Dude that Thai Red Bull looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand that absinthe makes the tart grow fonder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, just make your own...that is what we did!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Get all your favorite spirits and wines on Duty Free Depot!

    All the highest quality brand name beverages for unbeatable discounted prices.

    ReplyDelete