Thursday, March 31, 2011

What to do with old tech :/

Over the years I have accumulated a lot of equipment for computers and A/V. I guess you could call it a hobby of mine that I like to pull components apart to see what they consist of, how they work and, to criticize, what they are lacking or how the design is flawed.

Thing that I don't pull apart I look after, hence why I still have a working original Nintendo Entertainment System.

The problem now is I'm finding that I need the room that all this old technology is taking up. Generally I will upgrade something and the older version gets put away because "it still works" and "I might need it one day".

The problem with what I have is that it's so close to obsolete that no one wants it, you can't even give it away.

I have 100+ floppy disks for instance. What can I possibly do with them? Websites on the subject suggest making an art work out of them...that's never going to happen. The only thing I can think of is harvesting the Aluminum clips off them and selling it to a scrapper, but then I'll have the useless remains; that, and the recovered metal will weigh nothing at all

Hmmpfh!

This wouldn't be so difficult if;

a) I wasn't environmentally swayed
b) I didn't know how much all these disks once cost me

I also have other old day relics - Audio cassette tapes and VHS tapes.

The local thrift shop HATES them, they get them and can't get rid of them. In Sydney stores that sell Vinyl Records must have thought VHS would be the new vinyl but for video, which seems to have backfired considering they are trying to throw them out the door at $1 each. Even eBay listings have bulk lots that struggle - Unless you are an avid collector and live close by to arrange a pick up (because postage would be astronomical) these auctions aren't really an option worth pursuing.

These bulky things are just going to take up landfill space because it's junk that you can't do anything with.

Recyclers don't even mention that they accept them...which is a bit concerning.


No comments:

Post a Comment